Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Winter’s Mess Shows which Building is Best

When some people think of snow, delightful images of hot chocolate and cozy fires come to mind. For Gil McNeely of Waynesburg, PA, there is nothing delightful about snow—in fact, it makes him downright miserable.

With his home located two long miles from a paved road, McNeely has been left to plow and shovel virtually nonstop these past two winters to keep up with the record amount of snowfall. “Last winter we lost power a few times during the storms and had to use the generator,” says McNeely. “It was a heavy wet snow that damaged some trees and even caused a metal 10 x 10 building out back to completely cave in—but my SteelMaster was just fine. These winters have put it to the test, and that is one tough building.”

For more than 28 years, SteelMaster Buildings, which is located in Virginia Beach, VA, has manufactured, designed, and supplied pre-fabricated arched steel structures to 40,000 customers located in every state of the United States, in 40 countries, and on seven continents around the world.

In 2006, McNeely built his SteelMaster steel building to keep his two jeeps in as well as for storage of various other items. He bought the building from the company after spotting one of their ads in a farm and dairy journal. “I was searching for something that was low maintenance, and that is exactly what I got with my SteelMaster,” says McNeely. “I have another pole building on my property made of wood and metal, and I’ve had to paint the roof a few times, tighten loose nails, and do a bunch of other maintenance—I’m just tired of all the upkeep. With the SteelMaster building, once I got it up, I didn’t have to even think about it again. There is nothing to maintain. Another thing I noticed is that the building doesn’t sweat. When I keep my jeep in another one of my buildings, sometimes I go to get in them and there is condensation on the windshield. That has never happened with my SteelMaster, so the ventilation in it is really good.”

Structural steel is easier to handle, stronger, and less expensive than any other common pre-fabricated buildings materials. It does not rot, warp, shrink, or split, and it is non-combustible. Steel’s inherent strength resists fire, earthquake, and hurricane damage. Steel components weigh up to 60 percent less than wood members, and all steel products are repeatedly recyclable.

“With a SteelMaster building, you don’t have to treat it, paint it, or maintain it,” says Michelle Wickum, director of marketing for the company. “You can just enjoy it. The Galvalume Plus coating provides years of maintenance-free use. And the rugged resilient steel will take the bumps and bangs common to a storage building.”

McNeely likes his SteelMaster building so much that he purchased another one that he plans to build on to his SteelMaster that is already standing once this winter is behind him. His cousin, who owns part of the 156 acres that McNeely lives on, recently bought a SteelMaster building himself as well. “I’ve actually been seeing more and more SteelMaster buildings going up around these parts,” says McNeely. “They are a great investment, require no maintenance, and they look good, so I’m not surprised people are buying them. I’m already making plans myself to buy a third one because I love the buildings so much.”

In addition to storage buildings, SteelMaster’s steel and metal pre-engineered buildings are designed for a broad range of residential and commercial applications including garages, workshops, carports, metal barns, Quonsets, airplane hangars, RV storage, roofing systems, military buildings, commercial warehousing, and industrial storage as well as a wide variety of custom building applications including athletic facilities, retail stores, churches, bus stops, smoke shacks, doggie dorms, and correctional facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment